Skip to main content

The Pee Room Needs A New Name

This bedroom got its name before we even moved into the house.  It was not hard to choose a name since the room stuck like, well, pee.

At first we thought dogs were responsible for the smell but the neighbors said the dogs were not allowed in the house.  It must have been the previous owner's kids.
My wonderful brother has no sense of smell and he was nice enough to spend an entire day removing the carpet and scraping the padding off the floor.
 I sealed the floors and walls with Kilz but the stains bled right through.  That's when I discovered Zinsser 3-2-1 primer.  It will cover anything.  After getting everything sealed the smell finally went away and we used the room intermittently as a guest room.

After a year in the house we finally started work on the pee room and the adjacent disco room.  The old door into this room was at the end of the back hallway.

The room had an L shaped layout that has a lot of wasted space.
 We changed the layout to make the room smaller but it should not have an effect on usable space.  This required moving the doorway from the east wall to the north wall and framing in a new closet where the L-shaped potion of the room used to be.
Our other big framing change was to install the new window.  Although this addition was built in the 70's the windows are short and wide to match the main part of the house.  Our new windows are a foot taller so we had to lower the sill by a foot.

Once it was all framed in I finished the electrical work (we only had one outlet) and we hung sheetrock.  I had a lot of holes to patch.
After mud, tape, primer, texture and paint we finally had a room worth looking at.
The finishing touches really dress up the room.  Luke trimmed out the windows and installed the crown molding while I painted.  I love how the crown draws the eye up and makes this small bedroom a little more interesting.

We don't have installed the baseboard trim yet.  It's a sixty mile drive to the nearest Lowes so it will just have to wait.
There is one thing about this room that really drives me nuts.  Unfortunately it was my idea.  This is the power supply for the sprinkler system in the closet.

Our sprinkler controller is on the other side of this wall and Rainbird does not carry hardwired controllers.  Since our unit had to be plugged in I ran it through the wall and powered the controller from this outlet in the closet.  It's not as hidden as I would like but it's better than seeing that cord and adapter in the hallway.

Speaking of the hallway, it's only halfway done.  We'll be working on Luke's office this winter and the left wall will be changed to add a linen closet.  For now it looks a little strange.
We got a lot done this weekend and I have a lot to post this week, we'll just have to see if I can find the time to do so.


Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.