Skip to main content

The Disco Era Is Over

When we were naming the various bedrooms it was not too hard to decide that this just had to be the disco room.

It's hard to grasp everything wrong with this 70's throwback so here are the highlights:
  • Globe lights
  • Glitter finish popcorn ceiling
  • Dark paneling
  • Green/yellow shag carpet
  • Baseboard heaters
When snow interfered with our Memorial Day plans we did a little work on the room, stripping some of the paneling
 And framing in a plumbing wall for the future master bathroom
In order to have a master bathroom we stole 5' from the disco room.  This left a comparatively small room, only 9'6" x 10'.
 We incorporated this short section of hallway into the roo
and moved the closet several feet to the south, restoring the disco room to a respectable 9'6" x 13'6".
Since the disco room's only window was now part of our bathroom we needed to frame in a new window on the west wall
We scraped the popcorn ceiling and hung sheetrock

And did the whole mud, tape and texture thing.  We decided to paint the three non-master bedrooms the same color.  It will provide a sense of continuity and will spare me from having to choose paint colors for the other two rooms.

We're loving the crown molding.  We had originally planned to only buy crown molding for the master bedroom because of the cost.  But I found someone selling a box of crown on Craigslist.  For $200 we were able to buy enough crown to do the entire 1st floor (minus the hallway).

Just for reference:


The window faces our neighbor's garage.  It's not a great view but we found some nice blinds to take care of that.
As soon as I finished touching up the paint on Saturday I started moving in.  We'll be living in this room for the next few months.

Luke spent the weekend working on the exterior instead of working on his thesis.  I'll post more about that later.


Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.