Skip to main content

Our Third House

Our 3rd house was purchased when we moved back to Montana for Luke to attend grad school.  Like our first two homes it needs a lot of work.
Entrance Before

 Entrance After
 Living Room Before
Living Room After
The living room felt isolated from the rest of the house.  The screen leading to the hallway was once a doorway. 

Kitchen Before
Kitchen After - The range is in the same place, everything else changed.
Dining Room Before

Dining Room After

Master Bedroom Before
Master Bedroom After

  After - The end of the guest room became the master bathroom

Office Before
Office After

Pee Room - Not named for the pea green walls.  We found out from the neighbors that the previous owners did not allow their dogs inside.  The kids were the ones who ruined on the carpet.

Disco room - This eventually became the master bath and a guest room.

 The main floor bathroom was wider than usual because of the 66" bathtub.

 After - We completely rebuilt the room.  It's a little smaller than the old room but no one is complaining.
  The cellar could only be accessed from outside so it was not included as square footage when we purchased the house. The cellar was only accessible through the exterior stairs to the right.

 After - Added stairs and built a family room.  With this space now being counted as part of the house and having corrected the upstairs measurements the house is now roughly 1800 sq ft.
 The cellar bathroom packs a whole lot of gross into a small space.
 After - The only original part of this room is the window location 
Before - The back corner of the basement was wasted space.
After - We converted the back corner of the basement into a laundry room
 The back yard has a 12'x20' covered patio that never gets used because there is no convenient access.  When we remodel the kitchen we will replace the window with patio doors and add a small deck leading to the patio.  For now we're using it for materials storage.
After - Poor construction and structural damage caused us to remove the roof and have an open patio instead.
  The garage had a flat roof that was in rough shape.  You could see daylight through the ceiling.  The neighbors were taking bets on when it would fall down.
 Garage Interior - The center beam lacked proper supports.  It had sagged by over 2".

I had hoped to stay in this house but Luke finished is master's degree and took a job 60 miles away.  After six months of commuting we sold the house and started on a new one.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…