Monday, September 03, 2012

The Dreaded Roof

It's no surprise to us that roof needs to be replaced.

 Shingles were already curling when we bought the house and they aren't looking any better a year later.
 
But this is not a project we've been looking forward to.  I know a new roof would 1) Relieve my paranoia about leaks and 2) Look a lot better.  But I've been dreading this project because of the tear off.  Butte allows two layers of shingles on a roof.  We have 5.  That's right, 5 layers of three tab shingles that all have to come off before we can put on the new shingles.  Fortunately we had family and some guys from church come over to help.
I wish I had better pictures of the roof after the tear off, but we were hit with a thunder storm and heavy rain that night.  We were racing around the roof, patching holes and installing underlayment when my mom snapped this picture

On Saturday morning Probuild delivered our shingles.  We love rooftop delivery; it kept us from having to carry 85 lb bundles of shingles up the ladder.
We splurged and bought a second roofing nailer this summer and my brother borrowed a third gun from a friend.  We were able to form two-man teams and get a lot done despite all the cutting we had to do on the ridges.
 By Sunday afternoon the roof was installed.
Back Before:
 Back After:
 Front Before:
 Front After:

If you look closely you may notice that we also replaced the living room window.  I'll post more about that later.  In the mean time I have to write some cards and bake some thank-you cookies. 

Mom, Dad, Tracy, Will & Emily, thank you for all your help.


1 comment:

Shasha Kidd said...

You are so lucky you had people who could help you do this. We had to hire people to reroof our house and the labor cost a fortune!