Skip to main content

The Patio Predicament

When we first moved to this house Luke and I liked our covered patio.  It didn't matter that it had an ugly cinder block seating wall or leaking roof, it had potential.
One of our first projects was to remove the seating wall on two sides so we would use the cinder blocks to wall off our cellar access.
For the past year the patio has been used primarily for storage.  With all the building materials stored in there it was hard to find room for patio furniture
 Ever since we started our exterior work I have been making plans and materials lists for the patio.  It was going to get new polycarbonate roofing, a sturdy header and new 4x4 posts.  Then we started replacing the windows and discovered just how poorly the patio was constructed.  For unknown reasons the builders did not attach it to the house using a ledger board.  Instead they cut holes in the siding and buffalo board and stuck the butt ends of the 2x6 roof joists into the walls.
But they did not properly support or attach the butt ends to any of the house framing.  The patio roof is essentially hanging from the siding and buffalo board.  
After discussing our options we decided to roof had to go.  It was better to have no roof at all than have one that could collapse at any time.  We had to get creative to find places for all the building materials we had stored in there but at last we got it cleaned out.


I didn't get any photos of the actual removal.  Luke took a chainsaw to the roof and we removed one section at a time and loaded it all into the truck.

I miss having a covered patio, but I still think removing the roof was the right decision. The back yard seems a lot bigger without it and I'm sure we'll be able to make the open patio look pretty nice as well.

Comments

Good luck with this! We ripped off the kitchen on our house (was a shoddy addition a previous owner added), and plan to use it as a covered porch. We have to actually poor a foundation first though..then repair the roof. Kinda concerned with cost myself, as it always seems to mount so quickly!

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…