Skip to main content

Siding Rework

Fall is here and winter is fast approaching, but the house is not painted yet.  There is still a lot of work to do before it's ready for paint, especially on the east side.  When we moved in the east side had a set of stairs with a side door into the dining room. 
 
 During the summer we removed the side porch and poured new concrete to expand the driveway.
 Because of our remodeling the side door opened over a set of stairs and had to go.  This weekend Luke removed the side door and framed up the opening while I pulled off the old siding between the windows and the door.

Once the door was properly walled off we added tar paper over the buffalo board to make it all a little more water-tight.
We only have a few places in town to buy building materials and neither one of them carries cedar bevel siding.  We re-used old siding from other parts of the house to cover the east side.  We have more seams and small pieces than I like but once everything is caulked it won't look so awkward.
Speaking of siding repairs we also addressed the front of the house where we installed a new, smaller window in our future master bathroom.

We had just enough siding to cover the empty spots.

Luke had to remove the buffalo board under the front window to patch the old doorway.  This left the front looking a little exposed to the elements (and tweakers).

We needed concrete board, and we needed it right away, so we had to pay the usurious prices the local stores charge.  It's $15 per sheet in town, $10 per sheet at Lowes but I didn't have time to drive an hour each way.
While we were working on siding Luke also fixed the back of the house where we removed the patio.
With all the siding patched I need get to work on caulking and hole repair.  There's a lot of work to be done.  I'm not sure I will be ready to paint next weekend.  We'll just have to see how it goes.


Comments

clammyblog said…
Wow! Good job of hiding with siding.
Mary said…
So how's the work as of now? Were you able to pull it off? It seems you need to do a lot of work for the winter. It can be a home's worst enemy, especially if your home isn't prepared and well-maintained. Oh well, I hope you have a great Christmas season! :)

Regards,
Mary
Britten said…
We were able to get the house buttoned up before winter came. Now we're focusing on interior projects until the weather warms up. We'll be adding a back door and building a deck this spring.

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.