Skip to main content

My New Project

Ten months ago something wonderful happened.  We finished the basement bathroom.  After six months in the house I could finally take a shower with my eyes open and touch the floors or walls without the urge to spray my skin with Lysol.
So for the last nine months our only bathroom has been in the basement.  We are currently living in the guest room which means that we have to walk to the opposite end of the house, go down a flight of stairs then back across to house again to reach the bathroom.  It's not bad as a short term solution but after nearly a year of this arrangement I'm ready to have a bathroom on the main floor of the house again.  After moving some walls this summer the main floor is framed for two bathrooms:
 A 48 sq ft master bath:

And a 38 sq ft main bath

I gutted the main bathroom over memorial day and Luke and I moved the plumbing wall.
 Ever since then it has been used as storage but now I am finally ready to do something with it.  The prep work has not been exciting or photogenic.  This was our lovely ceiling.  When the bathroom was "remodeled" during the 70's someone glued paneling to the sheetrock.  I tore down the paneling but it really made a mess of the sheetrock.
I put up a second layer of sheetrock to cover the old ceiling.  This allows me to have a mold-resistant ceiling that exceeds fire code.  It was the first time I've ever hung a ceiling alone and I did it without a panel lift.  It did not go smoothly but it worked.
 Getting the tub in was not fun.  A one piece unit is much more difficult to install than a tub and three piece surround, but since this will be the kid* bathroom we wanted something leakproof and easy to clean.
 *We don't have kids but since we have four bedrooms and live near a school we are assuming that future owners will have kids and try to plan our house accordingly.

Why does the new mold and mildew resistant sheetrock have to be the color of an oxygen-deprived smurf?  It's going to take a lot of primer to cover that blue. 

Now that the tub is finally in I can start work on taping and tile work.  I'm looking forward to getting this bathroom done so I can finally take a bath!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.