Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Start of the Master Bathroom

It seems like I just finished building the main bathroom.  Actually I did just finish building the main bathroom yesterday and already I find myself immersed in another bathroom project.  This time I'm working on the master bath.  Why?  Because it is easier to tackle small projects alone and since Luke is still working on his thesis I am unwilling to try something big, like the kitchen.  So let's start with the master bathroom story.

When we bought the house the only bathroom was the main bath on the 1st floor.  It served all four of the bedrooms and was tolerable for six months until we built the basement bathroom.  We then gutted and rebuilt the main bathroom but always planned to add a separate master bath.  In order to carve out some space for the master bath we shifted the bedrooms on the west side of the house and took back some space for the master bath (similar to option 1)

The master bathroom is not huge, it's only 5'x9'6" so I'm trying to make it feel open and spa-like. 
 On the plus side it has a window.  This is the seventh bathroom we've built in the course of three homes and it's the first to have natural lighting, not that I'm home during the day to get pictures of that.

Last week we drove to Helena and bought a stack of materials for the master bathroom. We stored everything in the living room for the weekend.  I may have watched a movie in the bathtub.
 In order to contain the mess I moved everything into the master bedroom and put up plastic over our missing wall and closet doors.
.

So far the only progress I've made in the bathroom is replacing the insulation.  I've got a lot of work to do but fortunately I have some time off for the holidays.  We'll see if I can build this bathroom a little faster than the last one.


No comments: