Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Goodbye Old Bathroom, Hello New Bathrooms

We had planned to spend Memorial Day weekend mudding and taping the sheetrock in the garage.  But with our snowy/rainy weather and no garage door it was just not going to work.  We abandoned any plans of working in the garage and tackled a completely different project: the bathrooms.  Since we now have a finished bathroom in the basement we can finally rip out the upstairs bathroom. The whole house we disgusting when we bought it, but the upstairs bathroom was especially cringe-worthy.
We had a lot of mold to contend with on the tub, the floor and in the walls.
If you've eaten recently or would like to you shouldn't look at this next picture. Dead mice, mold and I won't even talk about the toilet.
We pulled up five layers of flooring and found mold between each layer. We didn't have time to build a new bathroom before moving in so we did our best to get this room functional. We ripped out all the flooring and subfloor, put down new plywood and stick-on vinyl tiles. We also replaced the toilet and swapped out the door. It was ugly, but functional so we've used it like this since August.Without towels bars or curtain rods you can really see how terrible the sheetrock job was.
 And removing the baseboard did not improve things at all.  On the plus side the stick-on tiles have held on well after nearly ten months of use.
Years of water from the bathroom has badly damaged the oak flooring in the doorway and caused the hallway floor to buckle.

I started tearing everything apart.  To on one's surprise I found mold by the vanity.


The bathroom was remodeled quite a few years ago, probably when the addition was built in the late seventies or early eighties.  But while tearing everything out I found the opening for the original window.
 I also found out the ceiling looked so terrible because someone had covered the sheetrock with painted fiberboard.  Removing the fiberboard damaged the sheetrock so much that it will all have to come down.

And my favorite find, a note from the builder's.  It reads: "House Built By: Jim Lerry and Roland Jones, Aug 53"
The pipes aren't really a find because we knew they were there.  Still 3" copper pipes are always nice to see.  The money from recycling them should partially offset the cost of the new PVC lines.

The old bathroom was 66" wide but we needed to expand the adjacent hallway so we built the new plumbing walls at 60" wide.  The 2x6's were salvaged from the old garage roof.

Once the main bathroom was framed and ready to have new drain lines installed we turned our attention to the other future bathroom.  The main floor is currently configured for four bedrooms and one bathroom.  We want to have an actual master suite with our own bathroom.  After playing with the floorplan a little we decided to steal five feet from the future guest room.

We cleared a space for framing the bathroom.  Unfortunately we decided to hang the chandelier for our future dining room from one of the many hooks in the ceiling.  Luke gave the hook a good pull to make sure it was sturdy before hanging the chandelier but while I was wrapping it with a dust cloth the hook failed.  I foolishly tried to break the chandelier's fall but my hands are a little slower than my legs (apparently I still have good soccer reflexes).  The chandelier survived by I have a cut and nasty bone bruise on my shin.  I'll spare you photos of my pasty white legs and show off the future bathroom instead.
The floors in the addition are 5/8" plywood with a second layer of chipboard to match the height of the hardwood floors in the rest of the house.  We will be replacing the chipboard with oak floors in these bedrooms and marble in the bathroom.  We needed to get the chipboard out before framing the plumbing wall, but whoever installed it decided to compensate for the inferior quality by nailing it every four inches.  It took an hour with both of us working to pull it up.
After removing paneling, sheetrock and buffalo board the new bathroom will measure 9'9" x 5'.  We framed in the new plumbing wall but the lighting and foil-faced insulation really ruins the photo.

The master bedroom is on the other side of this wall.  The door will fit between the wall and the old window framing.
We have the rooms framed and will be installing drain lines in the near future but finishing the bathroom is still months away.  We still have to finish a a garage, install underground sprinklers, remodel all the bedrooms and build a new kitchen first.  Until then we can use the 3/4 bath in the basement.  It will probably be 6-8 months before I can take a long, hot bath.

1 comment:

Sarah @ { rad: renovations are dirty } said...

Wow. It was such a (gross) mess when you moved in! It's going to look great when it's done, though.