Skip to main content


Despite our new heat system our gas bills continue to climb. Montana is not known for its mild winters and the worst is yet to come. We've already put plastic over the windows and used great stuff on every gap and crack we can find, but the real problem is our lack of insulation. The insulation in the walls and attic is thin, only R7. The energy company recommends attic insulation of R49 for this part of the country. So yeah, we're losing a lot of heat up there.
Our energy bill is already up $100 over last month so we know it's going to be an expensive winter unless we do something, and soon. After doing some research we drove to Helena and bought ninety rolls of insulation. Total cost $920.

Our existing insulation did not come close to the recommended 16" deep
We used rolls of R13 to fill the bays then rolled R30 in the opposite direction
Insulating our attic was nothing like they show on This Old House. There were no smiling faces as someone cheerfully rolled out insulation in a spacious, well lit attic. We spent most of the time on our bellies stretching as far as we could into the eves of the house. Conversation is kept to a minimum because it's hard to understand each other with respirators on. The weather may be unseasonably warm for Butte, but that means it's fifteen degrees. Only a fool would be in our attic all day without base layer. No wonder we don't have our own tv show.

The attic now has a total R value of 50 which should greatly reduce our heating expenses. But the best part is that Northwestern Energy is offering a substantial rebate on upgrading our insulation. After their rebate and a tax rebate our out of pocked expense is only $330. The insulation should pay for itself in the first year.
Our energy audit also indicated that we were losing almost as much heat through the crawlspaces as we were through the attic. The energy company recommended R19 for the crawlspace walls and rim joists but since R30 was the same price per square foot we decided to go with the thicker insulation.
The west crawlspace is under the two bedrooms added on in the 70's. It's only 14" tall so it's a challenge to work in.
The height actually worked to our advantage because we did not have to run the insulation vertically. It fit perfectly when run horizontally. Per manufacturer' instructions we insulated not only the wall but also the floor 24" away from the wall so cold air can't seep under the wall insulation.

The larger crawlspace was easier to access but required a lot more cutting and furring strips to hold everything in place.
All this work has greatly decreased the draftiness of this leaky old house and I'm sure it will make our heat bill much more affordable. But it has also has convinced us to replace the wall insulation. We'll be tearing the sheetrock off the exterior walls, replacing the insulation and putting up vapor barrier.

But we will worry about that later. We'll be starting a fun project next.


Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.


We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract.
Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…