Skip to main content

Warming Up

This weekend we continued what we started last week, the total destruction of our home demo of the kitchen.  We ripped down the remaining sheetrock on two walls and removed the kitchen closet and linen closet.
Since we already had the truck filled and were going to have to make a trip to the dump Luke decided we should gut the living room as well.  So we filled the utility trailer with drywall and insulation and made it to the dump before they closed for the day.
With the walls open we replaced some outlets before installing new insulation.  The old single layer balsam-wool batts only had an R value of 2 - 3.  We replaced it with R-13 so the house should have lower utility bills next winter.
the next day Luke walled up the old doors to the hallway and linen closet
Then he decided to install plumbing for the kitchen sink.  While he was in the crawlspace I worked on our lighting situation.  The old kitchen only had one working light, a chandelier in the middle of a 15x20 room.  After we gutted the kitchen I temporarily replaced the chandelier with a spare light fixture so Luke wouldn't hit his head.
I wanted to add can lights but I am very picky about having them perfectly aligned to I snapped a chalk line to keep them straight.
I usually dread cutting holes in the ceiling because it is dirty, exhausting work but last summer Luke and I bought a Rotozip at a garage sale.  It was the deluxe kit with a special adapter for cutting holes.  It made cutting the holes easy and fun.  I cut locations for six cans plus a light over the sink.
The rest of my day was spent in a hot attic, wiring in all the new lights and moving the chandelier location.  I got them all in, but was too tired to actually power them up and put in bulbs.  I still have a little more electrical work to do and will be getting our inspection later this week if all goes well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…