Skip to main content

Floor Work


So for a quick summary of where we're at: The drywall is up, taped and textured.  It's been a long, tedious process because we kept the original ceilings and they needed a lot of attention.  Now we are turning our attention to the floors.  We have red oak flooring in the bedrooms, hall and living rooms (really old photo, the floors are currently to covered with sheetrock dust to take a picture)

 The kitchen floors were a hodgepodge of hardwood, plywood and particle board covered by damaged laminate flooring.
 To improve the flow of the house and make all the floors the same level we have decided to replace the kitchen floor with hardwood.  After pulling up the laminate floors we could really see what a mess the floor was.

The hardwood on the right was covered in a thick layer of glue for vinyl flooring.  We stripped the room down to the subfloor but saved the hardwood in case we run short.  The shiplap subfloor was terrible squeaky so I screwed it down.  3 pounds of screws later the floor was squeak-free.  It says something about your floor when tar paper is an improvement. 

This winter we bought some red oak flooring salvaged out of the University of Montana ballroom in Missoula.  Installation was tedious and we still have a lot of sanding and planing to do but even in it's unfinished state the floor really make a difference in the room.

This is the transition between the kitchen and living room.  We have to plane down a small hump in the living room but the flooring height is actually a pretty good match.

After the kitchen was finished we turned our attention to the hallway.  The floor is a pieced together mess with hardwood and particle board floors, peel and stick tiles and a patch on the side where we widened the hallway

The hallway is L shaped.  The front section suffered water damage from the old bathroom which caused the floor to have a wavy profile.

We removed all the flooring from the back section and about 1/3 of the front hallway.

I'm still pretty new to installing hardwood floors.  This weekend was only the 3rd time we've put them down but I will share a little trick we learned.  Chalk lines to mark joists will wear off of the tar paper as you work.  Draw the lines in silver sharpie marker and they will last forever.

We wove new flooring in with the old.  This wood is #2 grade so it has a lot more coloring than the #1 we put in the kitchen.  It's a better match to the rest of the house and I prefer the more mixed look.  Plus it makes the hallway so much brighter and more attractive.

We ran out of flooring a little after ten last night.  Fortunately we have some old oak flooring that we can clean up and use to finish this small gap.

Luke and I each put in about 30 hours this weekend and we still have a lot of work to do before the floors are ready to be refinished.  I'll keep you posted but there won't be much to show for a white.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.