Skip to main content

Make Over Cabinets on the Cheap

We don't have a huge budget for the laundry room.  There are bigger and better projects demanding our money.  To save money I made over old cabinets and was able to get a room full of custom cabinetry for under $100.

 It's pretty rare for my local store to have any sort of cabinetry so I was surprised to find this ugly sink base cabinet for $20.
The laundry room only has space for a 24" cabinet; this one is 36" wide. The doors and drawer fronts are solid maple so I removed them and set them aside for future use.  This left the face frame of the cabinet.
 Then I cut the horizontal portions of the face frame and attached the shortened pieces to the side of the cabinet.  This created a new, smaller face frame with only one door opening.  I also built up the base of the cabinet so it would be 1" taller than the washer and dryer.  I found an old scrap of plywood to cover the toe-kick area.  Since it's getting painted the markings don't matter. 
Once the sink base cabinet was built I turned my attention to the doors.  I have cabinets that were removed from the old laundry area and kitchen that I wanted to use in the laundry room.  But the doors were just oak-veneer plywood.
I like shaker cabinets and they are quite easy to fake, especially if you recently installed wooden blinds.  My wooden blinds were 3' longer than my windows so I had a lot of extra slats left over.  I cut them to length then attached them to the door with glue and my brad nailer.
After the glue was dry I sanded the slats to make sure the paint would bond well.
Each door was then puttied and sanded again to look seamless before receiving a coat of primer.
Each cabinet received two coats of paint and had to be laid flat to flat to keep the paint from running.  I used Cabinet Coat paint which make the cabinets look like they have a factory finish instead of being painted after the fact.  After everything was dry I installed the new hinges and hung the cabinet doors.
Sink Base Cabinet

Heat System Wall


Budget:
$40 - Louvered doors from restore
$20 -Sink Base
$10 - Paint (used less than a quart, the rest will be used upstairs)
$10 - Spray Primer
$8 - Nickel hinges
$4 - Door pulls
$3 - Track for bypass doors

Total cost $95





Comments

Very creative remodel. It looks nice.

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.