Skip to main content

Kitchen Demo

It's been another whirlwind weekend for us.  On Friday night we had a mostly-functional but very ugly kitchen.
We packed everything up and removed the countertops and cabinets.  I pre-sold the cabinets on Craigslist so we only had to store them for a day until the buyer could pick them up.  After ripping things apart we could see how very gross this kitchen really was.  There was a lot of mold growing under the kitchen backsplash.
And the walls had been painted a shade of pink that not even Barbie could love.

We had long suspected that the original kitchen had been on the left side of the space and the dining room had been on the right with a wall separating them.  Finding the original flooring proved our hypothesis correct.
 A major remodel in the late 70's or early 80's swapped the kitchen and dining room. This wasn't a great plan but wasn't half as bad as some of their other choices like hiding two junction boxes inside a wall or leaving wires spliced together without a junction box or even wire nuts.
But the biggest surprise was the old window.  Whoever did the 70's remodel boarded up the old window and installed a cheap window in a different location without moving the header.  The header only reaches halfway across the window!  The wall had sagged 1/2" but we were fortunate it did not cause more damage.
The header issue made the wall much more complicated than originally thought.  We spent several hours changing the framing and jacking up the wall before installing our patio door.  The header is now supported by double kings and double trimmers.
For the first time in six months we can go to the back yard or garage without having to go through the front door and around the house.  And the awkwardly placed window on the back of the house is gone.
 The patio doors look much more balance on the back of the house.  Eventually all the debris and wheelbarrows will be replaced by a deck and steps down to the existing patio.
I still have to remove the kitchen closet and tear down some drywall but we are almost finished with demo.  But I do have a little message for the people who did the kitchen remodel:  We used to give you the benefit of a doubt and attributed your mistakes to inexperience.  The header has made it abundantly clear that you just do shoddy work and have no business holding a hammer.  People like you give DIYer's a bad reputation.

On a cheerier note I would like to thank Joey, a total stranger who just came over to buy our old dishwasher and ended up helping up lift the new patio door into place.  You totally made our day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…