Skip to main content

New Floors

Did you notice our horrible floors when I posted the pictures of our back bedrooms?
 The floors in this part of the house are 5/8" ply with 5/8" particle board on top.  The particle board is not structural and has been badly damaged by water and the PO's kids.  We will be removing the particle board, but the 5/8" plywood is too thin for subfloor and actually deflects a little under Luke's weight.  In order to strengthen the floor and help these rooms blend with the original part of the house we will be installing 3/4" oak floors.
We bought the flooring this spring from a 40's house in Missoula that was being remodeled.  For $300 we brought home over 300 sq.ft. of narrow strip oak that is a close match to what we already have in the house.  We've been storing it in the kitchen for months
 
Originally I had planned to use it in the kitchen, but I really just want to be finished with these bedrooms.  I laid out a few test pieces to determine that it looked fine with my freshly painted walls
Once Luke and I had agreed that we would be installing floors over the weekend we started pricing flooring nailer rentals and quickly discovered that we could buy a nailer for the cost of renting one for 3.5 days.  I bought one on Amazon and had it overnighted so we could start work right away.  While we were waiting we laid the tar paper.
Despite running errands and getting a slow start we were able to lay the entire disco room on Saturday.
And the pee room on Sunday
The floor color is a little lighter than we prefer but since it is pre-finished we will probably leave it alone.  In a few days my family will be here to help replace the roof so we've got to get the windows trimmed and put a door on the pee room.

Comments

Reuben Collins said…
The floor looks great!

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…