After months of work on the exterior and landscaping I am finally ready to begin the final phase of the remodel : finishing the basement. We've already done some preliminary work, so let's do a brief update on what has been accomplished so far.
Before -The previous owners used the open space at the bottom of the stairs as a bedroom. The door on the left led to a non-compliant bedroom.
In progress -We gutted the entire basement and started from scratch. This is shot from approximately the same angle as the photo above. The open space at the bottom of the stairs and the former bedroom will now be our media room.
Before -The basement was already plumbed for a bathroom.
In progress - We framed in the walls and will be putting in a dropped ceiling to accommodate the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom.
Before - The laundry room
In Progress - We added a utility closet for the hydronic controls and water softener. We also moved the washer and dryer locations so they will not block access to the electrical panel.
The previous laundry room did not have a door. We added an angled door at the end of the hallway so laundry noise would not interfere with the media room.
Before - The storage room adjacent to the laundry was framed as a bedroom but never finished.
In Progress - We framed two bedrooms into this corner of the house. The mirrored layout allows the bedrooms to share a single egress window well, eliminating the need to cut more holes in the foundation.
There's a lot of work to be done and of course a lot of money to be spent, but I'm excited to start on the basement and not be working in the heat outside.