Sunday, July 10, 2016

No Room for Guests in the Guest Room

Last Christmas Luke and I splurged and bought a new bedroom set for the master bedroom and moved our oversized log bed to the guest room.  I love the log bed, but the guest room is only 10x11 and the log bed is huge.
There was barely enough space for the bedroom door to clear the foot board and any luggage blocked the path around the bed. 
Bolstered by some recent success with woodworking projects I decided to build my own headboard and attach it to a cheap metal bed frame we have stored in the basement.  Using maple scraps leftover from previous projects I designed and built a simple headboard.
I wanted the look warm look of aged cherry wood.  It took a base coat of red mahogany, followed by a coat of cherry and two coats of english chestnut to get the color I wanted.
 Just so the change is more dramatic I've included a shot from the day my brother moved in.  Please note the classic rust-color shag carpet.
After
Without the log bed frame we had enough room to move Luke's old dresser for guests to use.  Since we don't have a media room at the moment we brought in the old tv.  It's more comfortable than watching movies in the garage.
With the guest room finished and the exterior work done for the time being it's time to start the next big project, finishing the basement.

No comments: