Skip to main content

Whirlwind Bathroom Remodel

After two years in the house we are finally getting a decent bathroom!  I've had seven new bathrooms over the last ten years, so having to live with this mess after all those new bathrooms is making me crazy.
I slapped some antique white paint on the walls to tone down the green but this space has been driving me nuts for the last twenty-two months.  So when Luke suggested that we start the remodel over the 4th of July weekend I jumped at the chance.  Within a week we had bought our materials and installed a toilet in the basement bathroom (not exactly private, but more convenient that driving to the nearest gas station)

I even tested out a few tile patterns on the bathroom wall.  It's actually an improvement and I should have taken a sharpie to the walls years ago.
We have a lot of changes to make.  To begin with, the bathroom is larger than necessary.  At 8'x9' it is the same size as our kitchen.  It didn't take much debate before we agreed to change the bathroom to 5'x9', giving us another 3' for the future kitchen.  This requires that we change the entire configuration of the fixtures and plumbing so we gutted the room to the studs and rebuilt it at the new, smaller size.
A conflict between tub drain locations and floor joists necessitated using a 54" bathtub instead of the standard 60".  It's not ideal but nothing in this house is going smoothly so I shouldn't be surprised.  Last night we managed to get the drywall and durock up so the room is feeling considerably more finished.
 
We now have some dead space next to the bathroom.  Until we actually start the kitchen remodel this will be a useless space, accessible only through the linen closet door.
Unfortunately we have to go back to our day jobs so progress on the bathroom is about to slow down.  But having to drive 10 miles into town to shower at work is a powerful motivator and we'll be working hard in the evenings to get this thing done.




Comments

Unknown said…
It’s great that you finally had the time to start with the renovation. Though you only had a weekend to work on things, it seems that you have done a lot in one go. Anyway, I hope you get to finish everything by the next weekend or two, so you can finally take a shower in your house again. Haha! Good luck!

Evon Brow @ Athens Plumbing

Popular posts from this blog

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract.
Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Front of House Facelift

It's been over a year since I posted. There are a couple of reasons for that.  1) We can't get internet service to our house. We use our phones as hotspots but loading photos is very slow. 2) Having a small child prevents us from getting much done.
However, I am happy to report that we have actually accomplished something this summer. I've been working hard and I'll post more about our other projects later (maybe much later), but for now I'll share the face lift we gave the prow front of the house.
The siding was in very poor shape from years of sprinkler damage.  We also had a large hole in the wall from where the old air conditioner was installed.  Throw in some drafty old windows and the whole thing needed an overhaul. In process - Replacing the original windows from 1981. We replaced the siding on the lower half of the walls with LP shingles and put new trim around the windows.
After - The new windows, paint, siding and trim give the house an updated look for …

No More 50's Front Porch

I am so close to having the front of the house finished, but the porch still needs some attention.  Several weeks ago Luke removed the railing from around the porch.  We don't like how much it sticks out into the sidewalk so we won't be reusing it. My dad is going to rework it into a railing for an egress window at his home so it's not going to waste. The ugly outdoor carpet will not come clean but at least it distracts the eye from the big crack in the concrete. After seriously considering my options I decided to lay cedar decking over the concrete steps. First I put down redwood sleeper strips over the concrete.  This will keep the decking from making direct contact with the concrete and prolong its lifespan.
I wanted cedar decking, but the only boards I could find in stock were rough cut 2x4's.  I had to run each through the table saw to trim them down to the standard 5/4 decking thickness.  Each board them had to be planed and sanded before I could seal it.  I us…