Skip to main content

The Master Bedroom Finally Done (Almost)

After eighteen months and countless comments from guests it's time I do something with the master bedroom.  When we first moved in it was a Spiderman themed mess with black and blue walls and red trim.  The closest I came to making it "homey" was to take the web-slinger stickers off the wall.
Last fall we finished the back bedrooms and moved into the guest room.  A month later I discovered the master bedroom had a wall full of mold from our previously leaky roof.

I ripped down all the sheetrock, but this is the wall that separates the bedroom and living room so for the last four months we've had this view from the sofa.
Since then I've insulated the exterior walls and  built the master bathroom, but the bedroom is in a pretty sorry state.


My parents will be staying for a few days at the end of the month and I thought it would be nice to have the master suite ready for them.  I had a four day weekend so I recruited Luke to help me hang sheetrock on Friday evening.  I can hang 8' sheets by myself but I haven't figured out how to do 12' alone.  The room is 11'10" square so this eliminates a lot of seams

My four day weekend was spent in a haze of drywall dust but by the time I returned to work the room was almost finished.  The walls were finished, textured and painted.

It look a few evenings to take care of the finishing touches, window trim, crown molding and a new light fixture.  Even though we haven't refinished the floors yet the room is much more appealing.


I also moved in some furniture to make the room more comfortable for my parents.  Nothing matches, but when we bring in our bedding and get rid of the rug it will all tie together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…