Skip to main content

In The Pen

I've been working alone for the last four months while Luke worked on his thesis.  But last weekend he had some free time to help on the house.  Even though we did not work on the same projects it was great to having him around.  His main project this weekend was dealing with the dog pen.
Atlas and Rikka share a 160 sq ft pen on the side of the house.  One side was closed in by the covered patio.  We removed the covered patio last fall and the cinder block seating wall was not enough to keep the dogs in the pen.
Removing the cinder blocks was fast and easy thanks to the demo hammer.
We debated doing a cedar fence, but Atlas really likes to see what is going on in the yard so we needed something a little more open.  We settled on building our fence out of the same aluminum balusters we used on the porch railing with a cedar frame.
They look happy in this picture but only because I was bribing them with treats. The pen has shelter, water and a heating pad but Atlas would prefer to sleep under the tree in the back yard.  Too bad he dug a hole and lost that privilege.
The fence is 45" tall from the patio, 50" from the dog pen but my malamute is afraid of heights so I don't have to worry about him going over.  Now that the dogs are properly locked up we'll see if the grass survived the winter.


Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…