Skip to main content

Installing the Slate Veneer

Now that the siding is up and the garage door is painted it's time to put the stone veneer across the lower part of the house .  Our neighbors are starting to think that we're going to live with tyvek forever.
My brother and sister-in-law have a crazy of habit of coming over to help us with the house.  During this visit they helped us get the scratch coat on and ready for the stone veneer.  With four people on the job we were able to get the scratch coat on in just an hour and a half.
My brother also helped us haul our "new" concrete mixer home.  We got this ancient homemade monstrosity off of craigslist from a nice couple who just wanted it out of their driveway now that their project was over.


The concrete mixer also came in handy when setting up my dropcloth shelters.  It took the mixer, our boat, my truck and the garage to get this shelter up so the mortar would not dry out too quickly.
 
I was able to arrange for a few days of work to focus on the veneer.  I am making the same slate product that I have used on our last two houses.  It’s a slow process.  I have to cut each tile into thirds, then each piece has to be "buttered" individually and tapped into place with a rubber mallet to ensure a good bond to the scratch coat.  Slowly, the veneer begins to go up.

I put in about forty-five hours over the last four days and was able to get all of the stone up.  I still have to finish a little mortar work and sealing before I can show off the finished product.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…