Monday, June 15, 2015

Installing the Slate Veneer

Now that the siding is up and the garage door is painted it's time to put the stone veneer across the lower part of the house .  Our neighbors are starting to think that we're going to live with tyvek forever.
My brother and sister-in-law have a crazy of habit of coming over to help us with the house.  During this visit they helped us get the scratch coat on and ready for the stone veneer.  With four people on the job we were able to get the scratch coat on in just an hour and a half.
My brother also helped us haul our "new" concrete mixer home.  We got this ancient homemade monstrosity off of craigslist from a nice couple who just wanted it out of their driveway now that their project was over.


The concrete mixer also came in handy when setting up my dropcloth shelters.  It took the mixer, our boat, my truck and the garage to get this shelter up so the mortar would not dry out too quickly.
 
I was able to arrange for a few days of work to focus on the veneer.  I am making the same slate product that I have used on our last two houses.  It’s a slow process.  I have to cut each tile into thirds, then each piece has to be "buttered" individually and tapped into place with a rubber mallet to ensure a good bond to the scratch coat.  Slowly, the veneer begins to go up.

I put in about forty-five hours over the last four days and was able to get all of the stone up.  I still have to finish a little mortar work and sealing before I can show off the finished product.


No comments: