Skip to main content

Master Bath - Part 2

In order to keep bathroom progress from stalling I arranged to have six days off over the holiday.  It was wonderfully relaxing and made a huge difference in how the bathroom looks.
 First I conscripted Luke to help me install the new bathtub.  Since his alternative was to work on his thesis it was not hard to get him to work for me for a few hours.  We managed to get the tub into the room and turned the proper direction without incident.  In order to keep the bottom of the tub rock solid I poured a bed of mortar that we set it into.  Just a tip for installation - put plastic on the floor before pouring the mortar.  The people that replace the tub in sixty years will thank you.

After the tub was in place I put up the rest of the vapor barrier and hung the drywall.  I purchased the mold-resistant drywall from a different source and was glad to see it was lavender instead of smurf blue.  I'm also getting pretty good at hanging drywall by myself.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a sign that something is seriously wrong with my life.  Speaking of seriously wrong, I miscalculated how many sheets of drywall I needed and ended up one short.  I realized this on Saturday evening, after both building supply stores had closed for the holiday weekend.  I did not want to wait to finish the walls until they reopen on Wednesday so I pieced together the small wall out of scraps.  I have ten different pieces of drywall on one 5' wall.

A few days elapsed while I took care of taping and texturing the walls and getting them painted.  In between coats of mud I hung the Durock on the walls and prepared to tile the shower.
 
I used a 9x18 ceramic tile for the body of the shower with mosaic tiles cut up to make an accent strip.  I'll be using white grout to blend the edges and make the tiles look less blocky.
 I'm still waiting for my tile warmer to arrive then I can finally get the floor done.  If all goes well it will be here tomorrow and I can tile the floor this weekend.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…