Skip to main content

A New Front Door

We have hated our front door since buying the house.  First off, all the homes in our area were built in the 50's and every single one of them has a storm door.
  I hate storm doors but at least it helped hide our hideous front door.
The door has not seen a coat of poly in years and without that protection the wood has started to delaminate.  With some sanding and glue it could be made presentable again but the bigger problem is the door knob.  It has a 5" backset knob but only a standard latch, so the latch is several inches short of reaching the strike plate.  The only way to keep the door shut is to use the deadbolt.  Since I don't want to carry my keys at all times we just don't use the front door.
While in Helena on Thursday we happened to find a cart full of clearance windows and doors.  We picked up a few new windows for the living room but our real find was this door.
It was listed for $450 but was marked down to $320 because of a tiny scratch on the back.  We talked the sales lady down to $250 and hauled it home. We were both excited to get it installed so we decided to use our date night for door installation.  What?  Isn't that what you like to do on a date?
I removed the old storm door and was able to sell it on Craigslist ,then we removed the old door.  Moving this thing was not fun.  It must weigh close to 100 pounds.

Once the door was in place we installed the clearance lockset I bought last year.  This is the first time we've had a working door knob on the front door.  And here it is in all it's finished glory.
And just for comparison

Just an FYI - That's not dead grass in the picture above; it's straw we spread to help our grass seed stay moist.

I know the door is currently a gold ring in a pig's snout, but I promise we will work on the porch, siding and roof this summer/fall.  In the mean time it will be fun to see how the neighbors respond.  Will they like our improvement or will they ask why we aren't fixing the paint/windows/roof instead?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…