Skip to main content

Garage Exterior

My neighbors probably think I'm crazy. My house is a dump and my yard is a disaster but we chose to fix the garage instead. And after going to all the trouble of tearing off the flat roof and building a new trussed roof we left it looking like this:
Or even worse, this:
I had originally planned to paint the garage this summer when I paint the house, but after all the work we've done I just can't bear to leave it looking like this.  I wanted to use my airless sprayer but ended up rolling and brushing because of the wind.  (The neighbors across the alley have a lovely brick garage that I did not want to ruin with overspray.)  This is the same color that we painted the last house. I loved the color and got to enjoy it for such a short time in Washington that I thought I would try it again.

You might have noticed that siding is missing on either side of the garage door. I plan to add slate veneer to the front of the house and decided to put a little on the garage to make it match the house.  Also on the to do list: a new garage door.

We're still in progress.  I have to replace the windows, side door and overhead door plus all the interior weather.  But I can't 70 degree weather go to waste.  And the neighbors seem to appreciate the work.  Several came out to cheer me on or thank me during my two days of painting.

Comments

{jaclyn} said…
Looks awesome! I so enjoy your updates.
Reuben Collins said…
looks good. Good work.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…