Skip to main content

Garage - Windows and Doors

Last week I posted some photos of the newly painted garage.  I intentionally avoided showing any photos of the west side.
You can see that we cut the siding off the corners and put up 5/4 board instead.  It looks so nice and crisp against the grey paint, but the door and window frames are still an ugly, peeling brown.

The window frame is too large for the old tip-out window.  Whoever installed the window just kept adding trim pieces until it fit.
The underlying wood had some pretty serious rot issues.
Close up
A few weeks ago I traded an exterior door for a couple of used windows for the garage.  Luke has been too busy with school to help me install them so I went ahead and painted the garage without installing the new windows.  When you are doing a remodel in Montana you match your projects to the weather and don't worry about doing things in proper sequence.  But this weekend we were ready to rip out the old window and install the new one.  The old framing was a little scary.  Apparently there were trying to save the forest by not using headers.  We re-framed the opening for our new window size.  Sorry for the dark pictures.  This is the best I could do yesterday.
But when we set the window in place we realized something we should have noticed a long, long time before.  The windows are not sliders, they are double hung uprights.  We had just installed the windows sideways.  D'oh.
We could make the opening longer, but it was now too wide and we had already cut the siding back.  So we decided to install the windows side-by-side instead of one on each side of the garage.  We dismantled the wall and Luke supported the rafters with a temporary header.
We finished the framing at 7:30 and installed the first window without incident.  But when Luke lifted the the 2nd window into place our hearts sank.  The second window is 3" taller.They look identical so it never occurred to us that they could be different sizes.
So for the time being we have a big hole in the side of the garage and we've learned a valuable lesson about paying a lot more attention to our used purchases before we start cutting holes in buildings.

Comments

dynochick (Jan) said…
I really like the look of the two double hung windows hung next to one another.
Britten said…
Two would look great. One on the other hand...

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…