Skip to main content

Heating Update

Sorry for the long period of silence. We moved to Butte two weeks ago, got internet last week and have not found the time to post until today. I am happy to report we are settled in the house and that the weather has been mostly warm. The weather is become hugely important for us because the house has no heating system. Our only source of heat is the little electric fireplace my parents gave me when we bought our first house (also unheated) six years ago.

Until last winter the house was heated with hot water baseboards. Like many foreclosures the pipes were allowed to freeze destroying our plumbing and most of the baseboards. Rather than spending thousands to repair the old baseboards we decided to get rid of them and install a new heating system. We started by ripping out all the old baseboards which left the rooms looking even worse than before. But we did find out what other colors the house had been painted.
Seafoam green in the living room
Pink and mint green in the dining room
The strip of white in our bedroom is a welcome relief from the black walls.
I climbed into the crawlspaces to remove the old piping and clean up the trash stored under the house.The older crawlspace is tall enough I could get around on my hands and knees without too much trouble. The crawlspace under the addition has less headroom and I had to belly crawl to get from one end to the other. I quickly learned than belly crawling on a dirt floor sends gallons of dirt down my pants so I settled for rolling instead. Naturally Atlas was very curious.
It took four hours to remove all the old pipes and clean up the trash. Removing the old tires from the smaller crawlspace was a chore but the crawlspaces were looking much better for the effort.
While I was having fun under the house Luke was removing the massive old boiler and more of the pipes hanging in the cellar. It took a lot of muscle and some big cheater bars but he finally got the thing loose and managed to drag it over to the cellar door.
But then we were left with the question of how to get this this 400 lb boiler up these stairs.
Two people were just not enough to move this monstrosity and it was much too heavy for my handtruck. We found some scrappers on Craigslist who offered to haul it away free. It took three men and a heavy duty hand truck to get it up the stairs. The scrappers were even nice enough to help us move the piano out of the garage and into the house. Compared to the boiler the piano was a piece of cake.
While clearing out the cellar and crawl spaces we had removed a lot of pipe. I knew recycling old pipe was worth some money but I was surprised that this truckload of galvanized, steel and copper was worth $492 in recycling.

The extra money will come in handy for the next phase of project, installing the new heat system. We ordered our radiant hot water system and tankless water heater on Tuesday and they should arrive next week. We're doing all the work ourselves so I will post more details later. Until then I will fantasize about having heat and hot water. (We do have a water heater but it's from 1994 and can only offer warm water, not hot.)


Popular posts from this blog


We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract.
Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Getting Ready For The Next Big Thing

Even while we were working on finishing the laundry rooms we are gathering the last of the materials for the another big project : the kitchen. It's hard to get a good feel for our kitchen/dining room without seeing it in person. However, I'll do my best to let you see what we are planning. When we bought the house the kitchen/dining room was accessed from the living room through this arch. The doorway between the living and dining room was enlarged to 9' and we added stairs to the basement. You can see that the new stairs took up most of the narrow dining room space. Our dining room is now only 3' wide.The kitchen has not changed much since moving in. We bought a fridge and stove but their pretty stainless steel finish doesn't make up for the many, many deficiencies in the kitchen.
Even if we ignored the lack of dining space the kitchen is deeply flawed. The cabinet bases are maple but someone decided they would look better with 1/8" oak veneer glued over the…