Skip to main content

2015 House Goals

Now that 2014 is behind us I am ready to look forward to a new year that will hopefully involve more progress on the house and fewer broken bones.  Here are the major projects for 2015.

Finish the garage so we can work on the actual house - We were close, but then decided that the floor needed more work than we had originally planned so now we have another big task to finish in there.  But we are getting close to finally being done.
Gut and rebuild main floor bathroom - We'll be changing the layout to free up a little more space for the kitchen. The new bath will be a little smaller but much nicer than this mess.
Kitchen addition and full remodel - In addition to stealing space from the bathroom we are also creating a cantilevered addition to give us some much needed kitchen space.  Right now the kitchen is only 8x9, the same size as our bathroom.
Replacing rest of the roof, siding and insulation - We did not replace the roof on the back of the house because of our impending kitchen addition.  Between the roof and our mix of old and new siding the back of the house is really an eyesore.
Install stone veneer and paint house - We left the house wrap exposed on the lower part of the house all winter and the siding is all still primer colored.  The neighbors are starting to wonder if we're going to finish this, or just like the half-done look (They have valid cause for concern.  A house on the next block has been in house-wrap since before we bought our).
Move staircase to basement - We need to remove the wood stove and move the stair case toward the south wall.  This will free up space in the dining room.
Install radiant heating system - Without wood heat we will need a way to keep the house warm.  We plan to install a staple-up radiant system like the one we had in Butte.  As part of this project we will have to bring gas to our electric-only home.

Lay hardwood floors upstairs - We are getting rid of all the carpets and cheap laminate in favor of hardwood floors.  We prefer the look and they are very effective with radiant heating systems.  We would like to do something similar to the maple we put in our Washington house.
In addition to all this I also have to find time this spring to have the screws removed from my ankle.  While it should be a much easier recovery than last summer's surgery, it will still slow me down.  Hopefully not too much though, I've got a lot of work to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…