Skip to main content

Fall Project List - How Did We Do?

In August Luke and I made some serious revisions to our remodeling plans.  After delays caused by the concrete and my broken ankle we had to scale back our tasks.  We identified six major projects that we wanted to tackle.  But how did we do?

Pour driveway and sidewalk
To quote Monty Python "Completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute".  But at least the concrete is done and we can move on with our lives while our original contractor rots in jail.
Dry in garage
Finished over Labor Day weekend.  We still need to finish the interior, but now that the garage is dry we can work on it over the winter.
Frame kitchen addition
Postponed.  Our cantilevered addition is going to cause some problems with the existing plumbing for the upstairs bathroom.  We decided to delay the addition until spring so we can do the kitchen and bathroom at the same time.  For now we have to leave the back of the house looking like this.
New roof on the house
3/4 Done.  My family helped us get the new roof on in just one weekend but we were unable to replace the roof on the north side of the house because of our plans to add on to the kitchen.  That will be another project for next spring.
Replace doors and windows
Mostly done.  We did not replace the bathroom and kitchen windows because they will both be affected by the addition in the spring.  We'll keep them covered with plastic this winter.
Replace siding on house
Mostly done.  The siding is up (except for the back of the house and east side) but it was too cold for putting on the stone veneer.
While we didn't complete everything we had hoped for we were able to accomplish quite a bit considering the circumstances.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…