Sunday, September 14, 2014

The New Roof

This is our forth house, fifth roof and the first time I have not been involved at all.  Because I am still recovering from a broken ankle my doctor forbid me from setting foot on the roof.  So I don't have many photos and they are all shot from the ground.
The old roof was tolerable but nearing the end of it's life.  It had two layers of 3 tab shingles so it was time to remove all the old roofing and start fresh.  Plus our new porch roof needed to be tied into the main roof.
My family came out to help with the project.  This is the third time they've helped us with a roof and we are so grateful for their help, especially since I am out of commission this time.
In the past we have used Owens Corning and IKO shingles.  This time we upgraded to Malarkey which have a much better nailing strip. Our color is Storm Grey which has a nice color variation.  The colors and high profile on the laminated shingles make the roof look more like shakes than architectural shingles. When we had finished the roof on Sunday my dad commented on how the white, 3 tab shingles dated the house before.
Obviously a lot has changed since we bought house a year ago, but I think my dad is right.  The new roof color gives the house a fresh, updated look.
 The back of the house still looks odd.  We are planning to cantilever a kitchen addition next spring and did not want to replace the roof back here just to cut it up again in a few months.  So until then we will have an mismatched looking roof on the north side.
 We still have a lot of projects we would like to do before winter, but we are now done with everything that needs to be done before winter.

No comments: