Skip to main content

A Seamstress I Am Not

We don't take pictures of Rikka often. Atlas is the one who follows us everywhere and has a knack for getting into most of our pictures. But Rikka was our first dog, a ridiculously cute puppy abandoned at a stable. When she was a year old we got Atlas to be her companion. Despite being younger he has always been the leader. He's big, smart and good-looking. Rikka is his dimwitted sidekick.
We don't know her heritage, but the best guess is lab and Australian shepherd. She's got a thin coat, handy during hot summer days but not so great in Montana's coldest town. As the temperature drops she looks increasingly miserable when we put her out for the day. I built her a dog shelter to help her stay warm, but decided she needed a coat. With tuition and Christmas coming up spending money on a dog coat was not in the cards. Solution: make her a coat. I got out my old corduroy work coat that was too short and too wide for me.
It's a sturdy material and sheepskin lined, perfect for a dog coat. I'm not into sewing. On more than one occasion I have stapled my clothes down to the correct size. But I gave it my best shot and used the back of the coat for the body, the collar became the chest strap and I cut up one of the sleeves into a belly band. The result:
A warm dog coat that cost me $2.23 for velcro and bias tape. Rikka is not too sure about it so we've been making a big show of giving her treats for wearing it. Atlas wanted some treats so he had to "earn" them by wearing the jacket.
Good thing Malamutes don't need coats. Purple just isn't his color.

Comments

clammyblog said…
Usually the hero, not the dimwitted sidekick, gets the cape.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…