Skip to main content

Garage Repairs & Plans

Our garage has problems, to put it mildly.
The roof is so bad that you can see daylight between the shiplap.
Why is it leaking? Perhaps because the roofing should have been replaced fifteen years ago. Not to mention flat roofs do not belong in Montana.
Can you tell what what areas were completely exposed?
Our building permit allows us to put up trusses but we don't have time for that this year. As a temporary measure to keep our tools dry we rolled out 6 mil plastic and anchored it with lath strips.
 We still had a little water getting through so we added a 20x30 heavy duty tarp for an extra layer of waterproofing.
Then we turned our attention to the interior. The garage was built with a support port for the overhead door. At some point the post was cut out and the garage door opening has since sagged over 2". We jacked up the door opening until it was level and put in a temporary post. It blocks one side of the garage but it's only a temporary measure until we replace the header.
The beam across the middle had also sagged when the support posts were removed. The new post is another temporary measure. We'll be able to get rid of the entire beam after the roof trusses are installed.
Next year we'll also be addressing the power for the garage. We wired in a few outlets and lights but we plan to install a subpanel and wire the whole garage. We'll also want to do something about the wire that feeds the garage.
The wire is rated for direct burial but it's not intended to just lay on the surface where it could be nicked by the lawnmower. For now the garage is functional. We'll worry about finishing it when the house is a little more put together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…