Skip to main content

Work Weekend - Bathroom Edition

Our primary goal for the 4th of July weekend was to get the plumbing working. Call me fussy but I really want to be able to pee and shower when we move in next month. But both the bathrooms have serious issues.
The cellar bathroom has only a shower and toilet.
The toilet bowl was cracked and the floor around it was dirty and moldy.
The shower did not have an actual surround or even waterproof panels. It was just painted white to look like a surround.
The shower must not have been used much. When I ripped out the sheetrock I found mold, but not as much as I expected.
We ended up gutting the bathroom along with the rest of the basement. We plan to rebuild it over the winter so we have a place to shower while we redo the upstairs bathroom.

The upstairs bathroom was closer to being functional, but there was plenty wrong with it.
The whole floor flexed and felt spongy. When I started tearing up the floor I discovered five layers of bathroom flooring with mold growing between each layer.
The old toilet could have been declared a superfund site. My dad poured water down it and used the plunger until the sludge was gone.
But even when the toilet was draining properly it could not be flushed because of a leaky tank. Butte only has three small hardware stores and we did not like the two toilets available to us. Fortunately my brother was in Helena and stopped at Home Depot to get us a new one. Luke and Dad installed it on Saturday and we were able to enjoy two full days of indoor plumbing. No more waiting for the next trip to the hardware store or using the back yard.

We ended up replacing the subfloor so we had a solid base for installing the new toilet. I'm not a fan of peel and stick tiles but they will keep our feet splinter-free until we can redo the bathroom. And they look so much better than the old floor.
By Sunday night we were also able to shower and wash up in the sink. In just a few days the upstairs bath went from this
to this
It's not fancy but it will work for now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…