Skip to main content

A Walk Through The Ruins

While working on the kitchen demo we realized that life would be easier and cheaper if we could get the kitchen, laundry and master suite inspected at the same time. Otherwise we have to deal with the expense and inconvenience of three separate electrical inspections. So instead of moving forward on the kitchen we found ourselves tearing the rest of the house apart. Here was the laundry room as of Friday:
We already knew that the wall behind the washer was in bad shape. I painted it with Kilz last year but it was time to do something about this:
The sheetrock was moldy all the way through and collapsed as soon as we touched it.The insulation was also moldy and had to be replaced. We also discovered that the wall to the left was damaged and it too had to be stripped to the studs.
We also began the conversion of the "bonus room" on the end of the house. This was a garage when the house was finished in 1949 but from what we can determine it was converted into a spare room in the 70's. The discolored paint to the left was from the freestanding wood stove we removed upon moving in. The closet to the right contains the water heater, not ideal for our future master suite.
We will be moving the water heater to the utility room and building a new master bath across the space once this kitchen is complete. After four long days of demolition we are finally ready to start rebuilding...stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…