Skip to main content

The Master Bedroom Finally Done (Almost)

After eighteen months and countless comments from guests it's time I do something with the master bedroom.  When we first moved in it was a Spiderman themed mess with black and blue walls and red trim.  The closest I came to making it "homey" was to take the web-slinger stickers off the wall.
Last fall we finished the back bedrooms and moved into the guest room.  A month later I discovered the master bedroom had a wall full of mold from our previously leaky roof.

I ripped down all the sheetrock, but this is the wall that separates the bedroom and living room so for the last four months we've had this view from the sofa.
Since then I've insulated the exterior walls and  built the master bathroom, but the bedroom is in a pretty sorry state.


My parents will be staying for a few days at the end of the month and I thought it would be nice to have the master suite ready for them.  I had a four day weekend so I recruited Luke to help me hang sheetrock on Friday evening.  I can hang 8' sheets by myself but I haven't figured out how to do 12' alone.  The room is 11'10" square so this eliminates a lot of seams

My four day weekend was spent in a haze of drywall dust but by the time I returned to work the room was almost finished.  The walls were finished, textured and painted.

It look a few evenings to take care of the finishing touches, window trim, crown molding and a new light fixture.  Even though we haven't refinished the floors yet the room is much more appealing.


I also moved in some furniture to make the room more comfortable for my parents.  Nothing matches, but when we bring in our bedding and get rid of the rug it will all tie together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.