Skip to main content

Luke's Office

This is Luke's office.  It does not technically count as a fourth bedroom because it lacks a closet.

In addition to painting the ceiling blue and the walls red the previous owners also splashed soda(?) all over the ceiling.  It then baked on for almost a year before we bought the house.  My mom and grandmother spent hours scrubbing it off.
Last winter I could not handle the oxblood walls any longer.  They sucked all the light out of the room.  I grabbed a bucket of mistint paint and covered the walls.  I didn't have enough to cut the corners but it was still an improvement.  Then I installed a radon mitigation system that involved running a 3" pvc pipe through the office (The pipe is crooked here, I forgot to get a pictures after I fixed it)
The plan was to eventually hide the pipe inside a closet. I framed up a wall that spans the entire length of the room.  The office will have a seven foot long closet on the left.  The right side will be a linen closet opening into the hallway.  The pipe is hidden in the wall between the two closets.  This was my first time framing anything entirely by myself but Luke inspected it when he got home and couldn't find any mistakes.  I guess I must be learning after all.

Once framing was in I hung sheetrock on the open walls and began repairs on the original walls.  Every night after work I put in a few hours fixing those walls.  The PO's really messed them up but I finally got them back to like-new condition and covered everything with a coat of primer.

I painted the room the same grey/green color as the other finished bedrooms

And finally finished (except for the floor, baseboard and closet doors)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have been following you for a while and just wanted to delurk to say- you are astonishing. I really love reading about your renovations, just blows my mind that you are doing it whilst working! Keep up the amazing work.
Elissa
B said…
Thanks Elissa, I really appreciate the encouragement. I have a lot of work to do in the next few months and can't wait to post more pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.