Skip to main content

Next Up: Laundry Room


When we first bought the house the laundry was located upstairs in the kitchen/dining room:
We decided to convert the cellar into livable space and chose the back corner for the laundry room location.
After gutting the basement and framing new walls we had a space for a laundry room, notice all the drain lines hanging there for Luke to bang his head on.
Several months ago we replaced all our copper drain lines with new pvc ones.  We rerouted the pipes to run in between the floor joist to create more head room.  The new lines run through a plumbing chase between the laundry room and adjacent bathroom.  This houses not only the drain lines but will also contains the radon mitigation system and dryer vent.  Eventually I will put the washer, dryer and sink on this wall.
The west wall has a crawlspace access into the addition.  I need to build a more attractive access panel.

The north wall is half covered by the controls for our hydronic heat system.  I will be putting built in cabinets at the bottom of the wall and hiding the hydronic components behind louvered doors.
The east wall has our new electrical panel so I can't build any counters in front like I had originally  intended.
Last weekend Luke and I finished the framing and shimmed the floor joists in preparation for drywall.  It's going to be a busy week with Luke defending his thesis and starting a new job  but I am hoping to get the insulation in this week and have the walls rocked this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.