Skip to main content

Back To The Garage

Butte is legendary for it's harsh winters but this winter has been surprisingly mild. So mild that we are commencing outdoor work in March. Our garage is in dire need of repairs.
The structure is 59 years old and has not received much updating or even maintenance.
When we moved in in August you could see daylight through the roof
We made some repairs this fall, just enough to make it usable. We tried to keep the building dry but even the 6 mil plastic and huge tarp we put over the roof were not enough to keep all the water out. And all the ropes securing that back of the tarp did not help the curb appeal.
The garage has a flat roof, poor planning for northern Montana. The roof is built with parapet style walls on the front and sides. The front and side walls are all the same height. The roof sits between the side walls and slopes from front to back.
Weird, right? Our new roof trusses will sit atop the parapet walls but before we can up them up we have to remove the existing roof. We pulled up all the shiplap on Saturday
And for the first time ever the interior of the garage was adequately lit.
On Sunday my dad, Luke and I were ready to start work on the garage door header. The old header was cobbled together and had sagged more than two inches before we put in a support post. But we never guessed how badly it was water damaged.Luke used his chainsaw to cut it into smaller sections for easy removal
How bad was the water damage? Here's a cross section, courtesy of the chain saw.
Because of the water damage we decided to rebuild the entire front wall. The garage is now being propped up by a series of braces until we can get everything tied together again.
This is where we left off on Sunday night. On Monday we should have some help putting up the new header and maybe even getting some trusses up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.