Skip to main content

Side Project - Luke's Desk

In case you did not already know, my husband is a student. We moved to Butte so he could return to school for his Master's degree in engineering. He does a lot of homework but since he doesn't have a desk he's been working at the dining room table. He's been wanting a desk, but at 6'7" most desks are too short for him and the fancy, tall desks are much too expensive for a student's budget. Enter the lab table:
A professor was getting rid of this old desk that had been used as a lab table for many, many years. It wasn't much to look at but the legs and frame were solid oak and the desk was very tall.
The top is pine or fir which does not handle wear and abuse as well as the oak frame. Still, it was salvageable.
I sanded, and sanded, and sanded. The top was so gouged and pitted that I spent five hours sanding just that one piece. If only I could have run the top through a planer instead of doing it all with a belt sander. I forgot to take a picture of the sanded desk so here's one while I was apply the wood conditioner.
Refinishing the desk was my project but since it was for Luke he got to choose the stain color. He wanted a walnut finish with satin poly, not my first choice but it turned out well.
We found the chair for a $5 at a thrift store. It's a temporary measure but it will work well until he graduates.
The top still is not perfect. But after 64 years in a college lab it looks pretty good.
And just so you don't have to scroll to see a before and after:
All said and done the desk took about twenty hours and $40 in materials (we will be able to use the leftover stain and poly). If I was doing this for a living the desk would have been a waste of time but Luke is thrilled with his new workspace so I guess it was worthwhile.

Comments

I think it looks great!

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.