Skip to main content

New Front Door

When we moved in the house had and ugly storm door over an even uglier white metal door that had seen better days.
 
 I debated painting the door, but decided it just was not worth the $2.97 for a sample pot of paint.  And since the door has to be body slammed to get it open it would just get scratched up anyway.
We knew which door we wanted, the same fiberglass door we used on our house in Butte.  We fell in love with how well fiberglass help up to construction and a giant malamute.  Our previous steel doors tended to dent and scratch but the fiberglass just needed a little cleaning to look brand new.
 
The only problem is that our door never goes on sale and we just did not want to spend $519.  So we waited and checked clearance at Home Depot for a year with no success.  So when my grandma gave me a 10% off coupon we decided to to just buy the door before winter hit.  We went to Home Depot to pick it up and found exactly what we needed, including the 2x6 jamb with a right hand swing, on clearance because the brickmold was broken.  We hauled our prize home for $350.  Luke and his brother took advantage of a rainy Sunday to get it installed.

The lighting makes the door look espresso instead of a warm chocolate color but either one provides a nice contrast to our nickel lock set.  Obviously we have to get the siding replaced before the house will look good, but new front door is a nice start and we're already getting compliments from the neighbors.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.