Skip to main content

Make Over Cabinets on the Cheap

We don't have a huge budget for the laundry room.  There are bigger and better projects demanding our money.  To save money I made over old cabinets and was able to get a room full of custom cabinetry for under $100.

 It's pretty rare for my local store to have any sort of cabinetry so I was surprised to find this ugly sink base cabinet for $20.
The laundry room only has space for a 24" cabinet; this one is 36" wide. The doors and drawer fronts are solid maple so I removed them and set them aside for future use.  This left the face frame of the cabinet.
 Then I cut the horizontal portions of the face frame and attached the shortened pieces to the side of the cabinet.  This created a new, smaller face frame with only one door opening.  I also built up the base of the cabinet so it would be 1" taller than the washer and dryer.  I found an old scrap of plywood to cover the toe-kick area.  Since it's getting painted the markings don't matter. 
Once the sink base cabinet was built I turned my attention to the doors.  I have cabinets that were removed from the old laundry area and kitchen that I wanted to use in the laundry room.  But the doors were just oak-veneer plywood.
I like shaker cabinets and they are quite easy to fake, especially if you recently installed wooden blinds.  My wooden blinds were 3' longer than my windows so I had a lot of extra slats left over.  I cut them to length then attached them to the door with glue and my brad nailer.
After the glue was dry I sanded the slats to make sure the paint would bond well.
Each door was then puttied and sanded again to look seamless before receiving a coat of primer.
Each cabinet received two coats of paint and had to be laid flat to flat to keep the paint from running.  I used Cabinet Coat paint which make the cabinets look like they have a factory finish instead of being painted after the fact.  After everything was dry I installed the new hinges and hung the cabinet doors.
Sink Base Cabinet

Heat System Wall


Budget:
$40 - Louvered doors from restore
$20 -Sink Base
$10 - Paint (used less than a quart, the rest will be used upstairs)
$10 - Spray Primer
$8 - Nickel hinges
$4 - Door pulls
$3 - Track for bypass doors

Total cost $95





Comments

Sharon Kwilter said…
Very creative remodel. It looks nice.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.