Skip to main content

The Pee Room Needs A New Name

This bedroom got its name before we even moved into the house.  It was not hard to choose a name since the room stuck like, well, pee.

At first we thought dogs were responsible for the smell but the neighbors said the dogs were not allowed in the house.  It must have been the previous owner's kids.
My wonderful brother has no sense of smell and he was nice enough to spend an entire day removing the carpet and scraping the padding off the floor.
 I sealed the floors and walls with Kilz but the stains bled right through.  That's when I discovered Zinsser 3-2-1 primer.  It will cover anything.  After getting everything sealed the smell finally went away and we used the room intermittently as a guest room.

After a year in the house we finally started work on the pee room and the adjacent disco room.  The old door into this room was at the end of the back hallway.

The room had an L shaped layout that has a lot of wasted space.
 We changed the layout to make the room smaller but it should not have an effect on usable space.  This required moving the doorway from the east wall to the north wall and framing in a new closet where the L-shaped potion of the room used to be.
Our other big framing change was to install the new window.  Although this addition was built in the 70's the windows are short and wide to match the main part of the house.  Our new windows are a foot taller so we had to lower the sill by a foot.

Once it was all framed in I finished the electrical work (we only had one outlet) and we hung sheetrock.  I had a lot of holes to patch.
After mud, tape, primer, texture and paint we finally had a room worth looking at.
The finishing touches really dress up the room.  Luke trimmed out the windows and installed the crown molding while I painted.  I love how the crown draws the eye up and makes this small bedroom a little more interesting.

We don't have installed the baseboard trim yet.  It's a sixty mile drive to the nearest Lowes so it will just have to wait.
There is one thing about this room that really drives me nuts.  Unfortunately it was my idea.  This is the power supply for the sprinkler system in the closet.

Our sprinkler controller is on the other side of this wall and Rainbird does not carry hardwired controllers.  Since our unit had to be plugged in I ran it through the wall and powered the controller from this outlet in the closet.  It's not as hidden as I would like but it's better than seeing that cord and adapter in the hallway.

Speaking of the hallway, it's only halfway done.  We'll be working on Luke's office this winter and the left wall will be changed to add a linen closet.  For now it looks a little strange.
We got a lot done this weekend and I have a lot to post this week, we'll just have to see if I can find the time to do so.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.