Skip to main content

Be Gone Ugly Window

The our living room faces north and doesn't get a lot of sun.  To make up for this someone installed a huge picture window.  This beast measures 8' wide, 4' tall and weighs over 400 lbs.  It's also filthy and no chemical we have tried has been able to remove the caked on grease and dirt. 
 We didn't want to change the window size, I already made the roman blinds, but we were ready for a newer style.  After a little debate we decided on a single unit with a picture window in the center and single-hung windows on either side.  We had the same setup at our house in Washington and really like the ventilation it provided.
We special ordered our window in July and a month later it was ready.  My family was in town to replace our roof and since the roof was finished ahead of schedule we tackled the window.  Removing this monstrosity took four men.

The window opening was larger than the new window so we had to re-frame the opening.

And set the new window into the space.
With six people working one one project we were able to get the window replaced in a little over an hour.  Even though it still needs to be trimmed out and the house is begging to be painted the exterior is looking so much better.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.