Skip to main content

A New Front Door

We have hated our front door since buying the house.  First off, all the homes in our area were built in the 50's and every single one of them has a storm door.
  I hate storm doors but at least it helped hide our hideous front door.
The door has not seen a coat of poly in years and without that protection the wood has started to delaminate.  With some sanding and glue it could be made presentable again but the bigger problem is the door knob.  It has a 5" backset knob but only a standard latch, so the latch is several inches short of reaching the strike plate.  The only way to keep the door shut is to use the deadbolt.  Since I don't want to carry my keys at all times we just don't use the front door.
While in Helena on Thursday we happened to find a cart full of clearance windows and doors.  We picked up a few new windows for the living room but our real find was this door.
It was listed for $450 but was marked down to $320 because of a tiny scratch on the back.  We talked the sales lady down to $250 and hauled it home. We were both excited to get it installed so we decided to use our date night for door installation.  What?  Isn't that what you like to do on a date?
I removed the old storm door and was able to sell it on Craigslist ,then we removed the old door.  Moving this thing was not fun.  It must weigh close to 100 pounds.

Once the door was in place we installed the clearance lockset I bought last year.  This is the first time we've had a working door knob on the front door.  And here it is in all it's finished glory.
And just for comparison

Just an FYI - That's not dead grass in the picture above; it's straw we spread to help our grass seed stay moist.

I know the door is currently a gold ring in a pig's snout, but I promise we will work on the porch, siding and roof this summer/fall.  In the mean time it will be fun to see how the neighbors respond.  Will they like our improvement or will they ask why we aren't fixing the paint/windows/roof instead?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.