Skip to main content

Foundation Coat Makes All The Difference

A few weeks ago I posted photos of our egress window well.  In the first picture you can see the mismatched concrete from where we filled in the old basement window opening.
 We used a textured foundation coating to hide the different concrete as well as to dress up the exposed foundation.
But that wasn't our only use for the texture.  The kitchen addition we built last year has treated plywood skirting, affordable and rot resistant, but not attractive.
After patching all the nailheads I spread the texture with a trowel then used a stipple brush to put a stucco finish on the plywood.
I intentionally made some areas thicker and more uneven than others to mimic some of the unevenness of the concrete foundation.
Once everything is textured you can't tell the concrete foundation from the wood skirting.
I thought of the texture as a nice little detail that no one was likely to notice but to my surprise we've already had neighbors from down the street asking where they can buy the texture.  If you're feeling inspired to try it yourself just look for Tuff II on the Home Depot website.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.