Skip to main content

Starting on the Siding


I haven’t posted since we installed the new roof a few weeks ago.  Over the last few weeks we’ve been installing soffit and fascia on the garage, which is slow work and a little too dull for its own post.  But on Saturday Luke wrapped up the last of the garage fascia and we started prepping for garage siding.  Little projects, like installing siding corners , starter strips and building mounting blocks for our lights took up a large chunk of the weekend, but on Sunday afternoon we were finally able to start putting up a few pieces of siding.
We selected LP SmartLap siding for the exterior.  It's more expensive than Hardie Siding, but it's also easier to work with and has a much better warranty.  We also installed this siding on our Washington house so we already knew we liked the finished look.  (I really miss that house, but not Washington).
For now we are focusing on getting the regular siding installed.  It leaves the garage looking a little odd because it's still missing the stone veneer on the lower portion and shake siding for the gables.  Still, despite the exposed house wrap and bland primer color, it's beginning to look like an actual garage.
 
We plan to install the gable siding later this week.  I'll post photos as soon as we have something worth looking at.

Comments

Elissa said…
Will you paint it a gray?
B said…
We're planning on two shades of gray but won't have time to paint before the winter. I guess we'll have to live with primer until spring.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.