Skip to main content

The New Roof

This is our forth house, fifth roof and the first time I have not been involved at all.  Because I am still recovering from a broken ankle my doctor forbid me from setting foot on the roof.  So I don't have many photos and they are all shot from the ground.
The old roof was tolerable but nearing the end of it's life.  It had two layers of 3 tab shingles so it was time to remove all the old roofing and start fresh.  Plus our new porch roof needed to be tied into the main roof.
My family came out to help with the project.  This is the third time they've helped us with a roof and we are so grateful for their help, especially since I am out of commission this time.
In the past we have used Owens Corning and IKO shingles.  This time we upgraded to Malarkey which have a much better nailing strip. Our color is Storm Grey which has a nice color variation.  The colors and high profile on the laminated shingles make the roof look more like shakes than architectural shingles. When we had finished the roof on Sunday my dad commented on how the white, 3 tab shingles dated the house before.
Obviously a lot has changed since we bought house a year ago, but I think my dad is right.  The new roof color gives the house a fresh, updated look.
 The back of the house still looks odd.  We are planning to cantilever a kitchen addition next spring and did not want to replace the roof back here just to cut it up again in a few months.  So until then we will have an mismatched looking roof on the north side.
 We still have a lot of projects we would like to do before winter, but we are now done with everything that needs to be done before winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.