Skip to main content

Curb Appeal

There's no doubt that our house looks much better than when we bought it.

We've painted, added slate veneer and built a porch 
But the house still needs curb appeal.  We're doing the best we can to get the lawn going but while we wait to see how much of it survived from last year I need to work on other projects.  Right now the biggest eyesore in the front is this area under the front window.  In this moving-day photo you can see that this little space was a patch of grass with a scraggly juniper bush.

I managed to remove most of the grass and the juniper bush last summer but for the last year or so this area has been my spot for cleaning out construction buckets and washing my tile saw.  It could use a little attention.
Speaking of needing attention, take a look at the porch.  When I built it last fall I used Thompsons water seal because I did not want to darken the cedar.  Huge mistake.  The finish it left on the boards actually collects dirt and makes everything look older.

And the cedar post just isn't right.  It needs to be white to balance the colors on the front of the house.
So last weekend my brother helped out by sanding and staining the porch and painting the post.  So much better.
 
 I'll save you the hassle of scrolling up for before and after photos.  August 2011


June 2013 - Maybe we know what we're doing after all.
The lawn is still pretty patchy.  We've seeded again and thanks to the sprinkler system we should be seeing a lot more green in a few weeks.





Comments

Elissa said…
It looks amazing. Such a huge amount of work. Hope you're feeling better and getting some rest in!

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.