Skip to main content

Master Bath - Part 2

In order to keep bathroom progress from stalling I arranged to have six days off over the holiday.  It was wonderfully relaxing and made a huge difference in how the bathroom looks.
 First I conscripted Luke to help me install the new bathtub.  Since his alternative was to work on his thesis it was not hard to get him to work for me for a few hours.  We managed to get the tub into the room and turned the proper direction without incident.  In order to keep the bottom of the tub rock solid I poured a bed of mortar that we set it into.  Just a tip for installation - put plastic on the floor before pouring the mortar.  The people that replace the tub in sixty years will thank you.

After the tub was in place I put up the rest of the vapor barrier and hung the drywall.  I purchased the mold-resistant drywall from a different source and was glad to see it was lavender instead of smurf blue.  I'm also getting pretty good at hanging drywall by myself.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a sign that something is seriously wrong with my life.  Speaking of seriously wrong, I miscalculated how many sheets of drywall I needed and ended up one short.  I realized this on Saturday evening, after both building supply stores had closed for the holiday weekend.  I did not want to wait to finish the walls until they reopen on Wednesday so I pieced together the small wall out of scraps.  I have ten different pieces of drywall on one 5' wall.

A few days elapsed while I took care of taping and texturing the walls and getting them painted.  In between coats of mud I hung the Durock on the walls and prepared to tile the shower.
 
I used a 9x18 ceramic tile for the body of the shower with mosaic tiles cut up to make an accent strip.  I'll be using white grout to blend the edges and make the tiles look less blocky.
 I'm still waiting for my tile warmer to arrive then I can finally get the floor done.  If all goes well it will be here tomorrow and I can tile the floor this weekend.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.