Skip to main content

Basement Bath Reveal

The blog has been quiet for a few weeks but Luke and I have been busy putting the finishing touches on the basement bathroom. Even though the bathroom is only 29 square feet it takes a lot of work to complete all the finish work. I've done my best with the before and after photos but since the door moved from the north wall to the east wall I can't match the angles. I recommend using the window as a point of reference.

Before - Old bathroom had barn style doorway on the north wall
.
After - The new bathroom door is on the east wall and faces the (future) family room.
Before - The old bathroom was primitive. It had only a toilet and a shower.
After - New pedestal sink, toilet and tile shower
Before - The shower walls were 1/4" sheetrock. Someone painted the walls white to make them like a real shower surround.
After - Larger shower, better lighting and the only sheetrock is on the ceiling
Before - Concrete shower pan
After - 2x2 slate tiles
Before - The linoleum had a mold problem.
After - New slate floor
Before - Anyone on our patio could see into the bathroom below (or they could if the window was not so filthy)
After - The glass block window still allows natural light into the room without compromising privacy
There was not enough room over the medicine cabinet for a light bar so we used mini-cans. We opted for a pedestal sink to keep the bathroom as open-feeling as possible.
This view from the shower might give you a better perspective on the size of the room. The entire bathroom only covers 29 sq. ft.
It's exciting to have a finished room. It's easier to convince guests that we don't live in squalor if I can demonstrate that the house is improving, albeit slowly.

Comments

Unknown said…
oh gross (talking about the before, not after)!

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.