Skip to main content

Work Weekend - Bathroom Edition

Our primary goal for the 4th of July weekend was to get the plumbing working. Call me fussy but I really want to be able to pee and shower when we move in next month. But both the bathrooms have serious issues.
The cellar bathroom has only a shower and toilet.
The toilet bowl was cracked and the floor around it was dirty and moldy.
The shower did not have an actual surround or even waterproof panels. It was just painted white to look like a surround.
The shower must not have been used much. When I ripped out the sheetrock I found mold, but not as much as I expected.
We ended up gutting the bathroom along with the rest of the basement. We plan to rebuild it over the winter so we have a place to shower while we redo the upstairs bathroom.

The upstairs bathroom was closer to being functional, but there was plenty wrong with it.
The whole floor flexed and felt spongy. When I started tearing up the floor I discovered five layers of bathroom flooring with mold growing between each layer.
The old toilet could have been declared a superfund site. My dad poured water down it and used the plunger until the sludge was gone.
But even when the toilet was draining properly it could not be flushed because of a leaky tank. Butte only has three small hardware stores and we did not like the two toilets available to us. Fortunately my brother was in Helena and stopped at Home Depot to get us a new one. Luke and Dad installed it on Saturday and we were able to enjoy two full days of indoor plumbing. No more waiting for the next trip to the hardware store or using the back yard.

We ended up replacing the subfloor so we had a solid base for installing the new toilet. I'm not a fan of peel and stick tiles but they will keep our feet splinter-free until we can redo the bathroom. And they look so much better than the old floor.
By Sunday night we were also able to shower and wash up in the sink. In just a few days the upstairs bath went from this
to this
It's not fancy but it will work for now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.